Monday, February 22, 2010

Is humility a virtue in athletics?



The Winter Olympics in Vancouver have brought us many thrilling events, but none more exciting than the accomplishments of Apolo Anton Ohno. Ohno has become the most decorated US Winter Olympian in history. In order to win the bronze medal Saturday night in the short track 1,000-meter final, Ohno had to come from last place on the final lap of the race. He knew the gold and silver were out of the question based on his positioning. Ohno said, “I really had to fight. I can’t wait to watch the tape and see how I came back from last place to win bronze.”

However successful Ohno may be he wasn’t quick to brand himself as the most decorated American in Winter Games history. “In my mind, that’s a hard question. How do you answer that? I don’t put labels on myself,” he said. “I consider myself an athlete on my third Olympic Games, working my heart out. My goal was to come out and put my heart and soul into the Olympic Games and I’ve done that.” More impressive than the accomplishments of the athlete is his modesty towards those accomplishments. Many athletes train in order to win the gold, but Ohno races for the love of the sport and because of that love he has been able to become the most decorated US Winter Olympian in history.

Phillip Tuttle
Social Foundations of Coaching
ND 2010

No comments: